Hospice 101- Dispelling the Myths and Removing the Fear About Hospice
Hospice is a word that can bring up many emotions - and misconceptions as well.
This week, Lori invites Donna French to dispel the myths, who serves as a community liaison with Archway Hospice. With 20 years of senior living experience, she has a wealth of knowledge and a passion for hospice education.
Donna explains how hospice isn’t necessarily a last-minute service when death is only days away, and it doesn’t have to be a terrible, sad experience.
Patients qualify for six months of care at a time (which can be renewed), and hospice professionals craft unique plans of care for each individual’s situation.
Plus, hospice alleviates stress for families by providing a band of home health aids, chaplains, and nurses who are just a phone call away. With the resources to help patients live comfortably and happily, hospice can promote a better quality of life in patients' remaining time on earth.
- Hospice care
- Home health aids
- Terminal illness
- Quality of life
- Support during terminal diagnosis
- Emotional support for families
- Medicare coverage
Takeaways from this episode:
- Hospice is for anyone, at any age, with a terminal diagnosis and an estimated time frame of 6 months or less.
- There’s no out-of-pocket expense for hospice care, whether it’s through Medicare or your insurance.
- Discussing end-of-life plans with hospice workers ahead of time can help them help you once the time comes – allowing you to spend time with loved ones when the time comes and begin the grieving process.
- Hospice offers personalized care for not only the patient, but the family. Many relationships develop and it relieves caregiver stress.
- The service doesn’t only apply to those “actively dying” and offers care that helps patients live more comfortably.
- If you’re in independent living, residential care homes, assisted living, etc., you still have access to hospice care as the team can follow patients wherever they go.
To reach Donna and to learn more about Archway Hospice please visit: https://archwayhospice.com/ email@example.com
This service is always free to families. 214-783-1222. www.loriwilliams-seniorservices.com